We chose this specific set of 48 characters according to 5 criteria:
(1) Form: The characters are all written the same in both traditional and simplified Chinese.
(2) Frequency: They are mostly high-frequency words which incorporate essential radicals, such as 日 (day/sun), 火 (fire), and 口 (mouth).
(3) Intuitive learning: They facilitate learning through intuition! For example, 王 (king) and 主 (master) look similar but have different meanings. 安 (peaceful) and 家 (family) both feature a 宀 (designating “roof”) and imply a sense of security. 女 (woman) plus 子 (son), or mother with child, is 好 (good).
(4) Iconic design: Chineasy has won numerous international awards, including the Wallpaper Design Award (Life-Enhancer of the Year), the Design Museum Design of the Year Award, and the D&AD Design Award. With Chineasy’s beautiful designs, even characters which are not often used, such as 川 (river), become easy to memorize!
(5) Fun: They spark joy for our learners! During product testing, we always ask participants which characters are their favorites. Without exception, 丑 (clown) and 球 (ball) are the most popular, especially among our younger learners.